Shabby Miss Jenn

Friday, January 17, 2014

I can hardly believe I'm writing this post already

Who signs up for a 9 week art course and
 within 3 days of it beginning, blogs about it?

Me

Why?

It's all because of this woman.
 Jeanne Oliver

This is not the first time I have taken an art course by her.
This is not the first time that she has managed to blow me out of the water
with her teachings and how much she shares of herself and her love of art.

This is the latest art course that I'm taking part in.
Studying Under the Masters{Becoming an Apprentice}
(You can find it here)

Those that may not know this about me already,
I actually have a degree in Graphic Design.
Being engrossed in the world of art has
always been a part of who I am.
I paint. I sketch.
 I love museums.
I love reading about other artists.
Present day and those of the past.
Art history really is a big part of creating.
Can you really begin something like creating art
 without looking at the past?

This art course that Jeanne Oliver created was going
 to have her and 8 fellow artists;
take us on a journey of different "Masters" in the art world. 
What we can learn from their work?
How they created the masterpieces that they did.
How can we as "apprentices" learn from
 these Masters and weave it into our own?

Week one literally just began a few days ago.
Week one is Jeanne's week.
I'm blown away.
I have been watching the videos she created
and just repeating in my head WOW.
The art Master for her was Henri Matiss.
This is not the first time I've been introduced to his work.
I've seen paintings and known they were his.
His work is something I've never felt a strong pull toward.

This is however the first time I've seen his work 
thru the eyes of someone
who truly loves his work.

WOW
What a difference.

I am giddy with excitement.
The way she describes his work and how he created.
The way she lights up talking about how to
 incorporate some of the things he did into her own , 
and therefore my own art pieces, has me excited.
I was surprised to learn that
some of the things, I already do!

I just want to grab the largest canvas I have and explore.
Expand myself in new directions.

It's like day 3 .... what am I going to be like
 for the rest of the 9 weeks?

Thank you Jeanne Oliver.
For letting someone share in the excitement
 of the world around us.
For what I can infuse into my own work
 from the Masters before me.
For letting those of us taking this course
 from you,
see a new "Master"
share her heart
 and soul.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Tracy! I was *this close* to signing up for this course... kicking myself that I did not! Can't wait to see what you create!

Unknown said...

Kim - you can still sign up - and you SHOULD!! I have no art credentials...just an appreciation and a desire to create and I AM LEARNING SO MUCH - and loving every minute! I will always sign up for Jeanne's classes because the experience is a rich one. She teaches from the heart and it shows.