Shabby Miss Jenn

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Interview with a Friend ~ Paintin By Faith










I asked my friend Vanessa to answer my questions as well. She is an awesome painter that I think you all should make sure to check out!

Here are her answers!


1. When did you first start creating and then selling your creations?
I have been creating things for as long as I can remember but I didn't start selling any of the things I made until 2001. The first things I sold were on eBay and that has been where I have sold most of my things.
2. Many romanticize the idea of running a craft business from home.What are two things you know now about having a home-based craft business, that you wish you knew when you started your own business?
I wish someone had shown me how to keep up with my financial part of the business better for tax time. And I wish that I had realized how important it was to sell myself as well as my product. I think selling yourself helps with bringing customers back. They remember you and want to buy from someone they have built a 'friendship' with.


3.What advice can you give potential craft business owners about marketing their product?
I think it is very important to be proud of what you are making and don't be afraid to 'toot your own horn.' If you aren't impressed with what you are doing and willing to say it is great then why should the buyer think it is worth spending their money on? And I think a cheery friendly personality is very important too ... people remember you that way.
4. What is your typical crafting day like?
I craft when I have time in between work and kids. With four kids and a job my crafting time has become more slim ... but I do it when I can. I do seem to get more done late at night when my kids are in bed and I am the only one up.
5.What sparks your creativity?Who inspires you?
Different things at different times will inspire me ... I can be mowing and see something that gives me a little spark. Sherry of Anniescupboards is a big inspiration to me .. she is soooo excited about everything she does and that inspires me.
6. What do you LOVE to work on? What do you HATE? I love working on great old finds ... y'know the ones you find at a flea market or thrift shop and then finding the perfect thing to paint on it. I hate base painting .. LoL .. I think every painter says that ... but you can't do the rest without it!................................................................................................................................................................................................................Then Vanessa Hoskins
Her website URL www.peddlerhillprimitives.com
Her Ebay info paintinbyfaith
A peek at her past creations http://www.picturetrail.com/paintinbyfaith

THANKS NESSA for taking the time to answer my questions!XO

Prim Blessings!

Cedara

http://www.thrutheatticdoor.com

Http://thrutheatticdoor2.blogspot.com

No comments: